The Topography of Terror Foundation
The Topography of Terror Foundation was founded by the Berlin Senate as a dependent foundation under public law on January 28, 1992. It was constituted as an independent foundation through the foundation law of April 8, 1995. The foundation is supported jointly by the state of Berlin and the Federal Republic of Germany.
According to the statutes, the purpose of the Topography of Terror Foundation is to relay historical information about National Socialism and its crimes and to encourage people to actively confront this history and its aftermath since 1945. The foundation also assumes advisory functions for the state of Berlin when relevant issues arise. In addition to its own council, the foundation has an international advisory board and a working committee to which Berlin experts are appointed.
The Topography of Terror Foundation grew out of a temporary exhibition project created in 1987 for the celebration of Berlin’s 750th anniversary. The foundation’s establishment and the political decision to erect a documentation center were the result of an exchange of ideas that continued for many years during which the ongoing commitment of social groups and individuals played an important role.
In addition to its work at the “Topography of Terror” historical site, the foundation fulfils a number of wide-ranging responsibilities. It has been responsible for the Nazi Forced Labor Documentation Center in Berlin-Schöneweide since 2005. It has also produced several poster exhibits in Berlin to commemorate specific sites in the city.
For more information on the establishment of the “Topography of Terror,” see Historic Site.